Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring is here, fill up those personnel files!

This is the first post since the Fall, mainly because I've been so busy in my position that blogging has become impossible. However, it is that time of year when harassment picks up considerably to prepare for rating day in June. Picture a chorus of Principals led by Joel Klein singing "It's the most wonderful time of the year...." Time to put letters in files, document lateness and absences for those who are unlucky enough to be put on the Principals sh&t list. Unfortunately, I am one of those people and sure enough with the coming of Spring comes the onslaught of U observations and letters to file covering everything from being 38 seconds late (they gave the school aide a stop watch just so the administration can amuse itself watching teachers sprinting down the hall to move their cards before the bell rings) to excessive absences. Now lets see, what constitutes excessive? Well, 10 days is what we are given per year so anything above that. Right? Well, you say what if there are extenuating circumstances, like family illness or child care responsibilities that can sometimes result in more absences? Well, I was told that the Chancellor's Regs state specifically that they don't care about that (exact words used by APO) and absences will be counted as such and written up accordingly. At my school they are pouring over everyone's CAR and docking for days missed because the previous APO had a conscience and allowed for docking over time. I got hit with four days, days I'm not even sure I missed because we never, ever sign the CAR when we are absent, so they can basically say that we missed any day. Four days docked, pretty much half my paycheck. Along with a lovely letter threatening me with dismissal due to incompetence (read: U rating leading to rubber room leading to 3020A hearing). Yep, folks, its Spring. When I tried to explain my extenuating circumstances I was urged to take an unpaid leave. Unpaid. Try telling that to my landlord, Time Warner and Nanny McPhee. The bottom line is that my school could care less about the fact that I am a working mother. They will penalize me for staying home with a sick child, or having to take care of a sick parent. They will also penalize me for not being able to find adequate day care, all while they shout to the world that they are concerned about "the children". Is that all children except mine?

Yes, folks Spring is here.

No comments: